Sunday, November 17, 2013

Steampunk on Sunday: Little Cloches



The original inspiration for this post
 came from the very wonderful Mr Finch.


We've all seen cloches as the latest display item.
They're pretty and redolent of
the Victorian fascination
for focusing on exotic items.

They're also rather pricey.

I found this post on Mr Finch's blog
for a way to use
broken wine glasses.

 Glass and Tin by Mr Finch



Aren't these lovely?
Can't you think of all kinds of things 
to put under one, 
just to make it special?


Now, I break a lot of things.
(I'm remarkably clumsy.)
So, it didn't take long before I had
a broken wine glass
and
a broken martini glass.


What I didn't have was
Mr Finch's lovely collection
of treen and ephemera
to glue on as tops.


What I did have are those
Dollar Tree
battery operated candles
 that come with
flimsy little candlesticks.
Like these.



The candles will fit into any candlestick
so the plastic bases were pretty redundant.
Until now.

To finish the top, I added a Christmas bauble
and painted the whole thing green.



Then I glued the knob
to the broken stem of the glass
with E6000 glue.


Wine Glass Cloche.

For Halloween, I added
one of those battery operated
tea lights under the cairn of skulls,
so that it glowed, eerily.




Martini glass cloche,
with a dollar store skeleton.


Hubby likes them so much
they're now permanent features
of the Steampunk Study mantelpiece.


Along with this lantern
but more on this 
(and tutorial)
later.


Shared with
Ivy and Elephants.



19 comments:

  1. The Victorians just loved glass domes and had them from tiny to the enormous. The most common items to survive over the years are wax flower arrangements and other botanical items as well as zoological specimens. My favorite has to be massive skeletonized clock movements of metal or wood. Those are generally housed under enormous oval domes that are worth nearly as much as the clocks. I had forgotten that the specific term was cloche, so thanks for the reminder. I have used the domes and stands from broken anniversary clocks to make special enclosures for displaying collected items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, I must keep an eye out for broken clock housings! I love the look of all those glass domes, and want many in my house one day!

      Delete
    2. I can remember when the wax flowers were looked on in huge distaste, ditto the stuffed animals. People threw them away... It's taken a while for designers to realise how much focus a glass cloche brings, to the most insignificant of objects. I do feel that modern domes are obscenely overpriced. If they can make a jam jar and a candle vase for less than a dollar, where's the Dollar Tree equivalent of a dome? The skeleton clocks do sound wonderful; and the cloche serves the purpose of keeping dust out of the workings.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, my grandparent's had such a clock! I was deeply facinated by it as a child!

      Delete
    4. Oh! Yes, I'll bet that was a wonderful thing to see, Isis!

      Delete
  2. Great work! I love them! Can't wait to see more about the lantern and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I find something better to use as a lid, I will, but meanwhile these will do. Lantern tutorial as soon as I get some shots in focus.

      Delete
  3. Never took one of those battery operated candles apart. So didn't know you can do other stuff, with them.

    They aren't too steady, so being able to take 'em off the base, sounds good. New possibilities, possible. ,-)

    From your comment on my blog Page, it sounds as if you have made yourself the perfect way to celebrate the Christmas Holiday. Oh wow yes! YOUR WAY! Purrrrrrfect! Hooray for you.

    I figure, you are way in the minority. But it's great to hear from people who have "Dumped The Christmas Machine"! Yesss!

    I've come a long, long way, along my own road. A long, long way. So I can be pleased with that. -grin-

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the idea of the faux candles, because they fitted into an ornate brass wall lamp I have in the study and made it look as though it was wired up with electricity. (so a double bluff, really). I got really frustrated with using them as candles because, as you discovered yourself, the batteries make them top-heavy. Now I have a use for the candle bases, but not for the candles. They suck a lot of juice out of a cheap battery! :(

      Delete
  4. Husband has awesome taste. Now, spill the bit about the lantern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm inclined to agree about Hubby and taste, what with being his wife and all. As for the lantern, do you like apricot jam?

      Delete
  5. I love apricot jam ;o) And, I love your creations!!! You are good girl!! This is so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you very much and I'm glad to hear you like apricot jam! Lesson to follow.

      Delete
  6. Makes me wish I had saved every wine glass I have ever broken! I'll break more though!! Fun project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danni! There'll be more; Christmas is coming. Having made these, I now look forward to having unusual glasses to play with. Like a champagne flute. Pass the Moet, would you?

      Delete
  7. These look great! Creative and budget friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer. I'd like to fit the glass with something more delicate, but in the meantime these will do.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dee! I'm not sure it's creativity. I think it's the fact I make a lot of broken stemware. :)

      Delete

I am At Home for comments....