Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Magical, Mysterious Mantelpiece.


 Here, at last
is the faux fireplace
assembled in the 
Steampunk Study.


A blank space.
Nothing here but the
Ugly Wallpaper
and the 
Nasty Paint.


Then, the fireback.
Literally, a piece of drywall,
mounted with a Halloween skull
 propped against the wall.

I'm a Master Builder...


Next, the mantelpiece
and the 'cast iron' fireplace.
It can stand on its own,
but at this stage it's not
terribly stable.


The miraculous
faux fire insert.
The wooden bits are real wood
so it's not that fake.
The plastic looks like real plastic,
for instance.



Finally, the mantelshelf
made of two strips of drywall
glued together with Liquid Nail
(This is a real craftsman's job, boys and girls.)
and painted black.
It helps stabilise the whole structure,
which is good,
because otherwise the whole thing 
was going to tip over.


Hubby is thrilled with it!
I'll have to take another picture of it,
 in all its festive finery.
It's the first time I've had
a mantelpiece to decorate
for years!

For observant fans of 
yes, that is the sword from the
Highland Sextasy 
poster in the corner of the photos.
It was a gift.
Honest.




Image isn't mine.
Copyright
Greg Aronowitz.
Proceeds of any sales go to
charity



5 comments:

  1. Wow! This is just awesome! I might have to do this someday if I can't have a real fireplace. I loved having a fireplace as a kid, but I know it's actually hard to get one, so I may employ your fascinating technique! The wooden bits are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky in that the wooden frame was a find, and without it I'd have had a lot more work. I'm so glad you like it. And, as long as I don't look at it sideways, it looks ok. From the front, it's Victoriana. From the side, it looks like a badly designed Secondary World item.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an amazing job you did! I am in the process of 'steampunkinizing' my kitchen, and find your fireplace wonderfully inspiring ;) https://www.facebook.com/pages/SteamCircuscom/206919582693093

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Ohhh, a Steampunk kitchen? You have pictures?

      Delete
  3. Your mantel turned out so fantastic!!!I love the look of the logs too. The sword in the corner is also very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete

I am At Home for comments....