Saturday, December 22, 2012

I know him; Marley's Ghost!

Last year, I showed you this remarkable
Christmas Wreath
by 



Isn't it glorious?

Well, I wanted something similar.

With less bone
and
more brass.
But the same notion
of capturing
the authentic flavour
of Dicken's 
Christmas Carol.

And accepting that part of Christmas;
is the telling of ghost stories
the wickedness of Krampus,
and the certain knowledge
that hearth and home
is the best place to be.

Here is my effort.


Not as glorious, I know.
But it did only cost me only $2 for the materials
(I can be a bit of a Scrooge
where crafting materials
is concerned)
and he is wearing his spectacles
on his forehead.

Bah! Humbug!

Way back in 
August
I wanted to enter a competition
hosted by the wonderful
Monster Kookies
whose fabulous steampunk creations

The contest was to design 
or create something
inspired by her polymer clay figures.

Well, I got sidetracked
and I made this, instead.


However,
 just in time for Christmas
I finally finished my 
Steampunk Bird!


Inspired by
Monster Kookies
wonderful


and influenced by
smexy
Russell Crow.


I made my clockwork
Nice-o-meter Finch..


On one side, a gaudy brass
clockwork finch.


On the other,
buttons  and a gauge 
to measure if you've been
naughty or nice!

(Yes, the key turns!
You have to make the
key-turning noise, though.)


It's made from one of those
little feather covered
Dollar Tree birds.
I removed the feathers,
added a new bill.
(Or beak?)
Embellished and gilded
and generally had fun with glue 
and bits and pieces.

Here he is on my tree.


Pick him up,
and he'll tell you if you've been
naughty or nice.

Want to risk it?








14 comments:

  1. Your wreath and Nice-o-meter are fantastic! Don't you love it when things turn out this great and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to make it happen? Wishing you the happiest of holidays. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes, when something comes out ok, and I got to stretch my pennies, that's the best! Hugs and merriest of Christmases wishes!

      Delete
  2. These are great! You're so imaginative.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the nicest thing anyone can say! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Outstanding work, sweetie! I love them all but that "naughty or nice" bird is delightful! I cannot believe you did that with a bird for The Dollar Tree??? Thank you for the smile and merry, merry Christmas, my lovely friend. Warmest hugs, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you, Mina! Maybe I should have put up a quck tutorial. The little feathers I peeled off the plastic Dollar Tree bird kept their shape, in a rather macabre way. Like a hollowed out sparrow...

      Delete
  4. Oh, the wreath didn't make it on da, it's so much fun! Was the shrunken head a dollar tree find too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabulous wreath right at the top isn't mine. He's by William Bezek, who makes some pretty amazing dolls, too.

      I just made the knock-off Marley and the boxwood wreath he's in (and by 'made', I mean I slapped paperclay on his fangs, glued on two curtain rings for glasses and sprayed him with brass-coloured paint so it was hardly an exacting process). He got put on DA during the pre-Christmas rush.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow you make the coolest looking things. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! I should make a Steampunk Rabbit, right?

      Delete
  6. Rhissana, your Steampunk creations are fabulous! I actually like your wreath much better than the original. It has an elegance that I find very Dickensian. Your beetle and bird are amazing too!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Jenn! Being an English teacher, I wanted something true to the book. That and I didn't want to scare the neighbours. That's what Halloween is for!

      Delete
  7. Hi there Rhissana...thank you for your visit...I'm chuckling over your header and how you want to grab the furniture before someone paints it white haha! I love the idea of it all ...good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes, painting 1980's veneered mock-ups is fine. Painting and distressing genuine Victorian furniture makes me cry!

      Delete

I am At Home for comments....