Sunday, August 12, 2012

Steampunk on Sunday: Gauging the Situation.



 Remember Mr Steambike?
(It's ok if you don't.)

Mr Steambike
is a fully functional
Steampunk clockwork toy.
He started out like this.


 A Dollar Tree special
(Guess how much he cost?)

With the addition of some goggles
 and some plastic bits and pieces 
all covered in gold paint,
he became
Mr Steambike!


He looked pretty spiffy.

But I was unhappy with the gold colour
I wanted him to look brassy.
And a little more Steampunky.

Then! 

He had  a cameo role
in the
I was hoping to film him
in motion,
but Mr Steambike fell off the deck
and was slightly damaged!


Not to worry.
I finally got my hands on some
brass paint.
And I bought a gross of plastic compasses.
Yes, you read that right...
144 cheap plastic compasses.

I really wanted to try my hand at making a gauge.
One that was small and light enough
for Steampunk toys
and weapons.
 Maybe use on a 
Steampunk notebook?


Like this.

I used a clock face from
the ever wonderful
Graphics F.airy
and removed the hands
 and some of the numerals.
I added some text.
 Acme make the best stuff!


Popped the plastic compass open.
Took out the card compass rose
(which is surprisingly nicely printed 
and will get used somewhere else)
and fitted in the gauge dial.

I think next time I will cover
part of the dial, but it does fine for 
Mr Steambike.



On the other side I added a plastic gear.
Yes, yes, I know the song!
For those of you who don't
here is
Just Put Some Gears On It.

The gear looks as if it's part of the 
rear wheel drive
so I'm not at all apologetic.
I added a spring, for radio control
and sprayed most of the bike
nice and brassy.
I left some gold for contrast.
So now he's back on the bookcase
in Hubby's Study
and I'm on the lookout
for more clockwork toys  that would
suit being steamed and punked.
Help yourself to the dial, 
 if you're interested in it.
If you want something different,
There's a lot more in the 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE it, who woulda thought!! So charming, and with such roots! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I'm looking for other stuff to add them to!

      Delete
  2. Very cool:) So what are you going to do with the other 143 compasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Good question! I think they cost about 2 dollars for the lot; the real gamble was that they might not come apart to insert different designs. I'm planning on adding them to some Steampunk pistols and the front of a note book or two.

      Maybe I'll have 143 giveaways!

      Delete
  3. amazing how you can dress up a dollar store toy. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really hoping to find some more like this, it was such fun putting it all together.

      Delete
  4. He looks even more wonderful now. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel! Now I'm looking for other things to attach these to!

      Delete

I am At Home for comments....