Sunday, March 18, 2012

Steampunk on Sunday : Mister Steambike

So, I was bored, you know?
 Done the laundry and cooked the goose.
 (Yes, a goose. It was nummy.)
I'd been sewing rabbits and went looking for
 my jar of roses and ribbons to trim them.
And I happened across this chap.


I'd bought hm from the Dollar Tree ages ago. 
I forget how much he cost...
Anyway, I thought he was sweet, but lacking something.
He had a rather jaunty trike and a top hat and splendid mustachios.
He was almost Steampunk!.
And so I abandoned the bunnies 
and set to with the glue gun 
and the cheap brassy gold paint.

First, the gluing. 

 Goggles, of course.


a chimney for the steam


a hopper for the coal and fancy cast iron scrolls.

Then, some gold paint. Rather a lot of gold paint. 
The thicker layers look nice and brassy.


and tie all the assorted plastic bits together.


I made sure the clockwork still moved. 
It didn't like all the paint and glue but
Mister Steambike still rolls.


He's not quite complete.
 I need to patina the harsh brassy finish 
and I hope to add a gauge and some tubing.

But well begun is half done, as Mary Poppins tells us.



12 comments:

  1. He's terrific....I love doing stuff like that as it really is loads of fun.

    I finished my Steampunk Fox finally. I'll post a picture of him very soon. I was going to call him Phineas Foxx but there's a real person called that. He edits a Steampunk Magazine...go figure:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Congrats on finishing your very handsome Steampunk fox. I can't wait to see him. It's a pity about the name being nabbed by someone else. A Steampunk magazine, eh?
      So, what you going to call him? ?

      Delete
  2. A very dull name.....Professor Frederick Foxx........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not dull! Professor Foxx is a noted man in his field! Brilliant academician. When do we see him??!!??

      Delete
  3. you have such a fabulous mind..so creative!!
    i just love this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ann! It was such fun to make. Now I'll be on the lookout for other goodies like this to Steampunk.

      Delete
  4. This is fab, I love it. It's sweet and brilliant at the same time.

    Now I'm going to be looking around at little toys and trinkets to see if they are steampunkable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. Yes, I'm going to be looking, too. This one was a spur of the moment thing, but now,every cheap clockwork toy will be checked for Steampunkability (yes, that's a real word! Honest!)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your so good at transforming things.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* Thank you for saying so, Dee! It's the gold paint, mainly. The rest is just glue. Glue and a kitchen drawer full of odd bits...

      Delete

I am At Home for comments....