Saturday, February 25, 2012

Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)


 Credit is entirely due to Sir Reginald Pikedevant Esq.

You know them. You've seen them. Hideous ojects d'art painted copper with a few glued cogs.
Now, I am aware of some snarking  in the Steampunk Universe,  
about what is and is not Steampunk.
 It seems to be a feature of anything that has fans who participate,
 like historical re-enactment societies.
A bit of lightening-up would be nice.

With that in mind, I offer this little song I found,
which, apart from being splendid,
offers a good working definition of 
Steampunk.
I also feel, if you're not selling the stuff,
you can call anything Steampunk if it fits that aesthetic for you.

However, he's wrong about the tea cups. 
!9th Century cups and saucers are SO Steampunk.
Can't make tea without steam, can't have Steam without tea.

But it is a pity about the Nixie Tubes.
I think a little rule bending should be allowed.

Created in 1955. Pity. 



6 comments:

  1. enjoyed your post sooooooooo much!!
    happy Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. I stumbled on the video by accident and thought it had to be shared.

      Delete
  2. Bwahahaa! this is great! I really need to catch up on my blog reading! I was on here actually looking for an update from steam tea travels. :D I am going to share this on facebook! hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Flying Rabbit! I'm so glad you liked this. I know about catching up on blog reading, I'm way behind!

      Miss Possum has had serious computer trouble, unfortunately, and Steam Tea Travels is on sabbatical until she can return.

      Delete

I am At Home for comments....