Saturday, November 26, 2011

Steampunk Wrapping

Dr Algernon Crupper's patented gift container.

For the tutorial go here

No. We're not talking about wrapping paper with printed with cogs, although it may come to that. We're not even  talking about using the blueprints for a particularly luxurious Time Machine, because I'm keeping those under wraps (A pun! Geddit?) until my experimentation is complete.

No, this is genuine Steampunk Giftwrap, for wrapping smallish non-animate objects to delight and surprise your friends and laboratory assistants.

Behold!


You, yes, you there, can hermetically seal items inside a tin can
Taking Mr Donkin's excellent and entirely safe invention, you can place items in a steel cylinder and seal them there, making their contents a delight and surprise for your friends, your servants and your co-pilot.

Mr B Donkin

' How?' I hear you cry!

With these few and readily available items.




Well, if you're still with me...

I had this idea a while ago when I made the discovery that the little metal disc 
on the top of a frozen orange juice tube fits, 
with mathematical precision, 
onto the bottom of a standard small tin 


(That's a can to you).
 You know the kind of thing.


  It usually holds green chilies or mushrooms or chopped olives.


This is my original design for the label...
with  graphics from the glorious, the generous, Miss Possum at 
I then measured my tin, all around and up and down
 (I should have done this first, of course. I know that now)
 and altered the graphic to that size, adding a bit for overlap.
 Like a real tin lable, see?




Then it was a simple matter of
printing,
cutting

and sticking.



I'm using E6000, and letting it dry with a weight on top
. Be very careful, whatever glue you use, 
not to glue the gift to the wall or base of the tin.
If you have a small enough rinpull tin,
 (I had some for chipotle chilies in adobe sauce, nummy) 


open it upside down, and glue on the disc
leaving the top with the ring pull intact, for instant gratification.
So, there you are. 

Steampunk Giftwrap.

Of course, you can print anything on the paper label; 
kids 'photos, a picture of the contents, 
a clue for a Treasure Hunt, 
a calendar with a date for it to be opened. 
You could even re-use an actual tin label, for giggles...

But you're bloggers and crafty,
 so I'm sure you'll think of all kinds of uses for this technique



If you do, please, let us all see!

Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

  1. oooooh clever old you! What a great idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you! Ir was a genuine light-bulb-over-the-head moment. I put it off for a while because I didn't know which glue to use. But now, I'm deliberately looking for things small enough to get in the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This takes clever to a whole new level!! I LOVE this idea!! You're genius I tell you!! :o) Thanks for sharing your methods and occasional madnesses with us! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Bravo!!!!! This is the most fun since sliced bread! Great tutorial!
    Miss Rabbit, you've done it again! Love the Crupper logo!
    ;)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Possum

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!... I would love to get a "surprise can" to open... I am visiting from Ivy and Elephants... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and fabulous idea!!! Okay, I'm running out and flagging down the recycle truck, because everyone's getting cans!!!
    Thanks for linking this fabulous idea to our "What's It Wednesdays". Hope to see you each week.
    Patti and Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Miss Possum, and Hi there to Julie Marie! I love Ivy and Elephants, they have some really gorgeous antique stuff, beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your so clever! This is a very cute idea.

    Hugs,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat idea! I have a few folks that would enjoy getting their gift in a can like this :)

    Nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever indeed! Stealing...hummm, I mean COPYING this idea!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I am At Home for comments....