Sunday, November 27, 2011

Steampunk on Sunday : The Extraordinary Vision

Yes, yes.  I know.

Christmas is coming...

I promise, next Sunday, there will be a plethora of pulchritudinous goodies relevant to the season. Gift ideas! Therapy and fashion! Timepieces and walking canes and all kinds of delights for every purse, from the modest housemaid to a daring duchess.



Next Sunday, while we await to board on our Steam Tea Travel, all cosy in boots and gloves and mufflers, there will be everything to delight your clockwork heart .

This Sunday, I just want to show you some Steampunk art,

Eric Freitas is an America artist who became a self-taught clock maker in 2004
and creates designs that are part whimsy and part dark vision.
 He makes each piece himself, cutting and shaping from metal..
 He ages each piece to a convincing patina 
and joins them with hand-threaded screws.
 Each clock can take 400 to 500 hours of work.



His clocks are a satisfactory fusion of organic forms and solid metalwork, 
that make these sculptural creations look as though
they're part grown and part forged.



Like the very best of Steampunk artefacts,
 they make an alternative world seem solid and real, 
objects of genuine escapism..



And in answer to your next question,
no,  you can't afford one.
But he does sell prints on Etsy.



Kris Kuksi's vision is more disturbing,
 but made from objects that are entirely familiar. 
Old toys. Broken ornaments.Model kits.



An American artist, he takes the discarded,
 the kitsch and the tawdry and recreates them into 
fabulous machines,


 tormented cities 


and creatures of wonder.


If you just want a rest from candy canes and glitter,
this is just the tonic you need.
 Kuksi's dramatic creations are provoking and original; 
as artists, this is what we need. 
Something New! 
Something Challenging!




You want to see something a little smaller? 
Something you could pick up, maybe? 
I have to admit, these wold make the
 perfect Steampunk gift for some people I know



These are the insect creations of
  Dimitriy Khristenko or  Dkart71
(And, if you're not a member yet, why not? 
It's free.
 It's really no more deviant than Blogland. 
And you'll meet a lot of talented people)
 His insects are made from familiar bits of metal; 
 nuts and bolts, gauges and wire 
and sometimes, real insect parts,
like these dragonfly wings.


There is careful attention to form and function. 
This grasshopper looks as though it can leap and chirrup


He also makes some very steamy, brassy clocks.





Well, thank you for your patience. 
I hope you can now return to your snowmen and gingerbread, refreshed. 
And if you feel the urge to build a sugar cookie Zeppelin 
or a door wreath of cogs and glossy copper wire,
please come back and share it with us.

Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. What bits of amazement and wonder you bring to light my dear Rabbit. And in a lyrical and imaginative way that rivals the wonderments you feature....I do think that you could mesmerize me with a description of a sack of flour almost as easily. But I do digress - and do not mean to detract from the amazing artwork you have unearthed. These are truly and uniquely remarkably. Ahhhh...but my little crow head could visualize so creatively.....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Blushes furiously* Oh my goodness, Miss Robin the Crow, this is praise indeed! Thank you. You are one of the nicest, kindest little birds I know in the Blogiverse! You say the sweetest things and I always look forward to your comments!

    (still blushing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gobsmacked.
    Jaw-droppingly, eye-poppingly marvelous from beginning to end.
    That is just a-may-zing.
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    Thank You
    Possum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you both realize we are a menagerie of bloggers up till now for this post? A crow, a rabbit, and a possum!
    I rest my case.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I saw! An excellent observation, Miss Possum! Astute, as always.Thank you, ladies, for your kind comments. A more pleasant menagerie I couldn't wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful collection of Steampunk Greatness!
    I'll be sharing on Twitter & Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Well, thank you! I thought these were pretty cool, too!

    ReplyDelete

I am At Home for comments....